Guest editors: Heidi Kock, Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences and Tiina Valkendorff, University of Helsinki.
The theme of the UAS Journal issue 3/2022 is digitalization in higher education and digital pedagogy. This theme issue concentrates on digitalization at universities and universities of applied sciences and one topic is the Digivisio 2030 project, which is common to all Finnish universities and other higher education institutions.
The digitalization of education and pedagogy is a multidimensional phenomenon and the theme issue approaches the digitalization of education and pedagogy from different perspectives. Four different sub-themes have been outlined for this invitation to writers to examine the digitalization of universities.
The themes are designed to stimulate ideas, and the authors of the theme issue can choose their own more specific perspective on the digitalization of higher education. In addition to these themes, other themes on the digitalization of education are also welcome.
Sub-theme 1: Learning and pedagogy
Digitalization has changed learning habits and pedagogy. For example, this sub-theme raises the following questions:
- What new types of digital learning models, environments, solutions and ways have been brought about by digitalization?
- How does learning become possible in digital environments, and what is digital learning?
- What opportunities do digital pedagogy and environments offer to different learners and what are the ways of digital interaction?
- What does the digital future of education and pedagogy look like?
Sub-theme 2: Technology in education and learning
Technology can support education and learning, but at the same time technological development can also pose challenges.
- This theme discusses, for example, how artificial intelligence can support education and how it can be used in learning.
- What challenges can artificial intelligence bring to education?
- How can learning analytics contribute to learning and teaching planning?
- What kind of pedagogical solutions does technology enable?
Sub-theme 3: Experiences and development ideas about digitalization
The digitalization of education has brought new ways of organizing and producing education.
- What are the experiences of education organizations and other actors in the digitalization of education and pedagogy?
- What kind of networks does the digitalization of education take place in and what are the experiences of networks and cooperation?
- How do teachers, education designers and learners experience the digitalization of education?
- What challenges and good practices have been identified?
Sub-theme: 4 Digivisio 2030
Digivisio 2030 is a joint project of all Finnish higher education institutions to reform higher education through digitalization. For example, the project aims to create a common digital service platform and develop digital pedagogy.
- How is Digivisio working on the project and what kind of ideas, practices and development work is going on in the project?
We hope to receive expert article submissions both from the universities of applied sciences and outside of them. In addition to articles, the text candidates may be more free-form reviews, contributions to discussion, interviews, and specialist texts commenting on leadership & management, quality, and administration. The texts may also present cases of collaboration between the universities of applied sciences and companies, international partners, or other actors. You may also suggest audio-visual content (podcasts: duration up to 10 minutes) .
The maximum length of a specialist article is 10,000 characters, a review 4,000 characters and a less formally structured text about 3,000 characters (incl. spaces). Detailed instructions for authors can be found at https://uasjournal.fi/in-english/instructions-for-writers.
We encourage you to co-write with company representatives or students. You may write in Finnish, Swedish, or English.
- Send an abstract of approximately 200 words to the guest editors to the following address heidi.kock(at)haaga-helia.fi and tiina.valkendorff(at)helsinki.fi by 15 May 2023.
- Send the accepted article with photos (2–3/article) by 15 June. The theme editors comment on the articles, after which the authors revise and finish their texts.
- Feedback will be sent to the responsible author by 30 June 2023.
- Send the revised version of the article by 31 August 2023 to the guest editors.
- The issue will be published during week 41.
Kindly pass on the author invitation in your organization and networks.